Reporting a student in distress

Report It

Reporting a student in distress


Does the student need immediate assistance?


The student’s conduct is clearly reckless, disorderly, dangerous or threatening and suggestive of immediate harm to self or others in the community.

What to do:

  • If there is an imminent danger to you, the student or someone else, call UCCS Police at 719-255-3111.
  • Report the concern to the CARE Team.
I'm Not Sure

Signs of distress are visible but the severity is unclear. The interaction has left you feeling uneasy or concerned about the student and you’re not sure how to proceed.

What to do:


I’m not concerned for the student’s immediate safety, but they are having significant academic and/or personal issues and could use support.

What to do:

  • See our list of campus resources below to connect the student with support on campus.

If you are not sure what resources to give the student, you can always submit a CARE concern. The CARE team will reach out to the student and make the appropriate referrals.  

Submit a CARE Concern

Mandatory Reporting

In addition to referring a student to resources, any sexual misconduct, protected-class discrimination or harassment, or related retaliation must be reported to the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE). You can submit a concern to the OIE by filling out the reporting form found HERE, or learn more about the OIE by visiting their website at

For questions regarding these issues or the obligation to report, please contact the OIE at 719-255-4324. 

Campus Resources

Mental Health Services


Health Services


Care Team


Additional Resources

  1. Academic Advising
  2. Disability Services
  3. Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
  4. First Year Experience
  5. Gallogly Recreation and Wellness Center
  6. Veteran and Military Affairs